Apologies, Deadlines, and (Finally) Some Progress

One of the purposes of this blog, at least from my perspective here, is helping me to both own and reflect on my process. Naturally, part of that process is dealing with mistakes, as you’ve seen if you’ve been reading along for even a few posts.

The one I’ll be talking about today is what we could call a problem of time-frame if we’re being diplomatic—or, if we’re not, we can call it issues of pride, overconfidence, and newbie stupidity. Take your pick: it all works out about the same.

A post or two back I mentioned that, until Oath of Blood, I’d never before endeavored to take a long work all the way through the process of editing and revisions. So when I went into the matter, I only had a vague idea of how long it would take.

Consequently, I set out some deadlines for myself and, thinking it would be a healthy motivator, made those public and even hinged a couple of local launch events on them. The first of those was supposed to happen tonight.

Unfortunately, as you can probably gather, that’s not going to be happening.

I sent out messages to that effect to everyone who’d indicated they were either interested in coming or would be coming to those events. Still, I’m feeling like a heel today (and rightly so) for having set those expectations and then failed them.

We could just chalk it up to a honest error or to “the process” or whatever, but I think that’s a cop-out. Instead, I think it’s more an issue of ignorance and pride, mixed with a hefty side of overconfidence.

Consequently, today’s post is an examination of that, an apology to everyone who had indicated they had an interest in those canceled events, and an update on where things stand right now.

The first thing that bears saying is that this is, without a doubt, my fault. I’m not going to blame fate or depression or the numinous process of revisions or anything like that. This is me. I set a deadline for myself, believed with utter honestly that I would meet that deadline, and fell flat on my face.

Now, granted, if I’d gone into my revisions with the knowledge base I have now, I might have been able to finish according to the timeline I set. But the fact remains that I did not. I only had a vague understanding of how the process would affect my ideal internal timeline, and I fumbled this one.

The second thing is that, because it’s my error, I owe anyone who intended to go to those events my unconditional apologies.  I set an expectation and failed to make good on it. I have quite possibly screwed up folks’ plans, cost them an evening off from work, or just plain let them down.

Although I sent out messages to such people letting them know what had happened, I still worry that some of them are going to show up at the predetermined venues, wait around on me a bit, and go home disappointed and angry. If they do, well, I’d say that’s their right.

For anybody to whom that applies, contact me. I will do my level best to make it right for you. 

Third, this is a lesson I intend to take fully to heart. It doesn’t undo any problems the current confusion may cause, but it has taught me a great deal about my own time needs, about setting expectations, and about the “public face” of this whole affair.

Initially, I think I had some erroneous belief to the effect of, If you set a deadline, things will fall into place. That is, of course, some bullshit. Deadlines are good, but they’re not magic. They’re also not helpful if they don’t take the actual time-frame of the process into account.

Which is, to be clear, something I should have known. But here we are, all the same.

And speaking of where we are, I do have some substantial updates for you.

This weekend I’m wrapping up final adjustments to the first act of the story (about the initial 25% of the text). As of now, I am on schedule to send the manuscript back to the editor in early August, as we appear to have broken whatever hold my structuring confusion had on me.

What this means is that while I am, yes, behind my initial schedule, things are moving again, and in a way that inclines itself to both improvement and relatively rapid completion. I say relatively rapid because things like this don’t happen overnight—but in the larger scheme of things, coming out of a three-month rut makes wrapping things up inside a month seem like FTL travel.

Naturally, when I’ve made the last keystroke, the manuscript is going back to the editor, and her schedule is such that she takes about a month. So provided my ability to meet this new deadline, I’m looking at knowing what last tweaks will need to be made by early September. With those adjustments made, we’ll be able to begin the layout process shortly thereafter.

But first things first.

And, again, my apologies.

Advertisements